Caps For Sale!

Posted on: April 26th, 2011 by Kay Swatkowski

When our grand daughter, Nikki, was preschool age, we read Caps for Sale every day.  She is a beautiful redhead and I can still see her walking through the house shouting “Caps for Sale! Fifty cents a cap!”

This classic, first published in 1938, has sold over two million copies.

Would you like to be entered in the giveaway for this book?  If you would, just leave a note or story below about your favorite book as a child.

You might also enjoy:

12 Responses

1. Lisa Jungheim says:

My grandfather died when I was 9 or 10. One of my favorite memories is him reading Smokey the Bear. I don’t remember much about the book itself but I know it was always the book I wanted him to read. He always knelt on one knee while I took a seat on the other. He would pull his reading glasses out of his shirt pocket, clear his throat, each time in the same manner and would begin reading. I can still hear his voice.

• Lisa…that is a beautiful story? That is a wonderful memory.

• Joan C Webb says:

Lisa, I love this story about your grandfather reading to you. What a precious memory. I think you are very blessed indeed to have this memory. I’m sure you missed him a lot after he died. I respect your grandfather for taking the time to cherish you and give you this experience.

2. Teri Pretlow says:

The Los Altos branch library was a short walk from the elementary school I attended in Long Beach, California. The western afternoon sun brightened my well-worn path through the maze of tables to the back-corner, third shelf where the black-bound adventure of two pre-historic children waited my return. Their journeys took them past neon-bright eels, and other frightening creatures, caves and chilly dark waters that only an 8 year old can fully appreciate. But time found it’s way between my own life-adventures and this captivating childhood fantasy. The exact book title, author and key character names faded with time, yet still dear to the heart. Several years ago a wonderful librarian from the still standing Los Altos branch suggested doing an on-line search of children’s prehistoric fiction written during the 1940’s or 50’s. There were several possible matches and a few on-line purchases before my long-loved book was discovered! As it turns out, Leona Train Rienow wrote two books based on the Cro-Magnon period, The Bewitched Caverns and The Dark Pool, both of which I checked out on numerous occasions! After quickly purchasing the two again found books, I was delighted that one of them bore a 195l inscription and autograph of Ms. Rienow herself. The story of Olo and Pigeon seemed different as re-visited through my now adult mind. Sadly time can tarnish our once creative, adventurous spirit, replacing it with reality, borish skepticism and disbelief. However the stories we once read and now read to our grandchildren represent that once present optimistic hope and excitement that we presently see in their imaginitive eyes! Books are one way to capture, savor and cherish those moments.

• Teri,
      It is incredible that you found those books! What a gift. It is so true–books are such an important part of childhood imagination and the wonder that was so real to us.

3. The first book I remember “loving” besides the childhood classics was a Weekly Reader Book called THE PINK MOTEL by Carol Ryrie Brink. In in, the kid’s mom inherits a motel in Florida where all sorts of mysterious things happen. I no longer own the book, but am thinking of trying to get it on Amazon. To a kid growing up in rural Texas I think this must have seemed quite exotic! I’ve never lost my flair for the unusual and some of my favorite moments with my grandchildren have been reading them the Dr. Seuss books. One of my favorite books for reading to them, though, is WHEN I WAS YOUNG IN THE MOUNTAINS. It has a simple but quite literary feel to it.

thanks for tweeting me to stop in and take part!

• Carla, Thanks for taking the time. I am amazed by some of the old favorites I have found on Amazon. I have a couple I want to read to my grandkids. The Pink Motel sounds like a book that would have felt exotic to a little girl!! I would love to have read that. Thanks for your recommendation of When I Was Young in the Mountain! That sounds lovely. Literature builds character, doesn’t it?

4. Joan C Webb says:

Here’s the story that popped into my mind. When our son was a toddler just learning to talk, we read him Big Joe’s Trailer Truck every night (and sometimes during the day.) He loved it. One of his first phrases to ever say was “Diesel Fuel”. He said it repeatedly because he liked the way it rolled off his tongue. This is one of my favorite memories. He now has 3 sons of his own.

5. Megan Hoffecker says:

I Love this book Kay and I haven’t seen it in forever! I don’t remember having a book that was my favorite as a child but remember reading all the time. When I was in First Grade though I took it upon myself to teach Aaron to read on the book Green Eggs and Ham. Still one of my faves and my kids love when we try and read it as fast as we can at the end in one breath. Another book that was a fav of mine was Make Way for Duckling. It was set in Boston and for Barrett’s first Easter when we were in RI the Easter Bunny brought it too him to continue the reading tradition.

• Kay says:

Megan….those are two of my favorites too. Make Way for Duckling is such a beautiful classic! Does Aaron remember you reading him Green Eggs and Ham???

6. Margaret says:

I recently found a great book for parents to read to their children, I Love You All The Time by Jessica Elin and Jennifer Elin Cole…they even have a coloring sheet. I can’t wait to read it with my grandchildren. My own children loved the Velveteen Rabbit nearly all the Dr.Seuss books.