Teaching children to be kind and to share is one of the most important jobs a parent can do. As someone has said, “It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.” Sometimes our kids get tired of hearing us encourage them to do kind things for others. They get tired of hearing the same words.
Here are ten quotes on Kindness. Perhaps one or two are appropriate to use with your children. Quotes allow us to use other people’s words to reinforce the truth we have been trying to teach. It tells kids that these thoughts and values are not uniquely mom and dads or grandma and grandpas. These values are and have been cherished by thousands of people over many years.
Not all of these will hit home with your child, but you might find one or two you can memorize and repeat to your children, until they are able to repeat it themselves and the thought has become part of their own thinking.
I hope you will be able to use these few quotes to encourage your children to greater kindness and generosity.
- “Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless – Mother Teresa
- “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear, and the blind can read. – Mark Twain
- Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. – Plato
- Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.– Albert Schweitzer
- If we cannot be clever, we can always be kind. – Alfred Fripp
- Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns. – Uknown
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. – Aesop
- When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Abraham Joshua Heschel
- When you are kind to others, it not only changes you, it changes the world.– Harold Kushner